CONNECTIONS THAT LAST A LIFETIME
Gujarat Law Society (GLS) has existed for over 80 years and has witnessed the country
and the state in varying hues. It has, however, loyally stayed through the
course and contributed to the society’s cause by presenting to it such candidates
who have dared to herald change.
The institute, by the virtue of its long existence and the large number of schools
and colleges under its aegis, now has over 2 million alumni. These are those
patrons who despite their flight to success have kept their feet grounded.
They have an urge of establishing proximate ties with their alma meter and also
share their experiences and learning with the future of the society, i.e. the institute’s
The reviving of GLS Alumni Association in December 2008 is a step towards the same
cause. The association organizes regular programmes to strengthen ties with
its alumni and give them an opportunity of networking.
Following are some of the programmes that it has organized in the recent times:
- Ajit Kelkar’s performance of RK Laxman’s “You Said It” based
on his famous cartoon character ‘The Common Man’
- A talk on ‘Think Different, Act Different’ by Swami Brahmavihariji
- A talk by Hon. Justice SH Kapadia (Judge, Supreme Court of India)
- A play depicting the relationship between Gandhiji and Tagore named ‘The Prophet
and the Poet’
- A talk by Shri Arun Shourie on ‘The Threat to India’s National Security’
Over and above these intermittent programmes, the institute also makes regular efforts
of connecting with the alumni. A case in point is the association’s
movie club which screens movies on the 2nd and 4th Friday
of every month.